Team Zoom Car Wash
takes out the 4th
Red Bull Trolley Grand Prix
10. November 2013
Where Genius Meets Ridiculous Auckland Domain 10am-4pm
Where Genius Meets Ridiculous Auckland Domain 10am-4pm
Congratulations to Team Zoom Car Wash for their epic win!
Hundreds of teams from all around New Zealand submitted ingenious trolley designs and have been eagerly waiting to see if they will be building their trolley design to race in the Red Bull Trolley Grand Prix. The best teams have now been selected and will compete on November 10 at the Auckland Domain for the $10,000 cash prize and all the glory of race day victory.
Each team will now embark on a three month build phase from August 1 to October 31, where teams will share their trolley designs with New Zealand and update the public on the highs and lows of their trolley build right here.
Have a look at the successful teams below. Which team will you support?
The “Red Bull Trolley Grand Prix News Crew” have now completed their tour around the country in a customised 1979 Dodge Van, personally visiting teams to create a video of each unique trolley being built.
Keep checking back here each day to watch the progress of each of the teams until race day, November 10.
The Red Bull Trolley Grand Prix is an international event in which amateur drivers race homemade trolley vehicles, Grand Prix style! Each hand-made machine is fuelled by nothing but sheer courage, the force of gravity, a touch of genius and a little bit of ridiculousness.
This unique, non-motorised racing event challenges all people from all walks of life to design and build outrageous trolley dream machines and compete against the clock in a winding downhill race, and it all happens this weekend!
40 teams and trolleys have been selected for this Sunday, November 10 at the Auckland Domain. Each team will reach new heights of race stardom when in front of 100,000 spectators, they push their trolleys towards the best time of the day and Trolley Grand Prix glory.
Visit the teams page to meet them.
Safety is the number one priority. All racing machines should carry completely functional brakes and steering. No braking with hands and feet will be accepted. Brakes should function independently of the steering and should be connected to and operate on at least two wheels. A helmet is required and is mandatory to wear. All drivers (and if applicable, co-drivers) are required to follow the compulsory dress code: full-length trousers, a long-sleeved top and gloves. Costumes suiting your team theme are strongly advised
You can use any material to build your car so long as you follow the terms and conditions and ensure the materials are environmentally friendly and safe. The only things that you are strictly prohibited from using in your car are engines, stored power or external energy sources.
Remember that your car needs to move only with the strength of a push and the gravity of the hill. Driver and pit crew must all be 15 years of age or older. They’ll give you the push you need to get you off the starting ramp. No engines, gas, batteries, electrical cords, catapults, afterburners and the like are allowed. Nothing can be mounted, screwed into or glued to the pavement in any way, shape or form.
All trolleys must be human powered, meaning no engines, stored power or external energy sources are allowed. Pre-fabricated cars are not accepted. All vehicles must be less than 1.5m wide and 2.0m tall, less than 3m in length. All cars must weigh no more than 80kg (not including the driver).
To prevent you from getting stuck on the starting ramp, the trolley should sit a minimum of 10cm from the ground. All racing machines should carry completely functional brakes and steering. No braking with hands and feet will be accepted. Brakes should function independently of the steering and should be connected to and operate on at least two wheels.
Driver and pit crew must all be 15 years of age or older as of July 31st 2013.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these Terms and Conditions. Participation in this promotion is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. The Promoter reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions at any time without prior notice.
2. Entry is only open to New Zealand residents aged 15 years or over as at 31 July 2013. Employees (and their immediate families) of the Promoter and agencies associated with this promotion are ineligible to enter.
3. To be eligible to enter, individuals must firstly obtain an Application Kit from the Promoter by logging onto www.redbull.co.nz/tgp
4. The promotion opens on 10/6/13. Applications close at 5.00pm on 22/7/13 (“the Application Period”).
5. To submit an entry, the individual must: (i) sketch the design of their proposed Trolley on the sketch sheet provided in their application kit; (ii) fully complete the official application form including their name and age, and the names and ages of up to four (4) other people who will form the team (the “Team”); and (iii) send their application to ‘The Race Co-ordinator’, Red Bull New Zealand Ltd, PO Box 91135, Ponsonby, Auckland, 1142, so that it is post dated during the Application Period.
6. The Promoter recommends that the entrants consider the design specifications when formulating their designs. Only individuals who are officially listed on the application form as part of the Team will be eligible to participate in the Red Bull Trolley Grand Prix Event (“the Event”), if selected as a Contestant (see condition 9 for details). Entrants who submit an application must obtain the prior approval of each Team member, prior to doing so.
7. Incomplete, indecipherable, or illegible entries will be deemed invalid. Only one (1) entry is permitted per person. Only entries completed on the official sketch sheet and official application form will be accepted.
8. All entries post dated within in the Application Period will be judged by 01/08/13 based on creativity, feasibility and ingenuity. The judges reserve the right to select additional reserve entries, which they determine to be the next best, and record them in order, in case of an invalid entry or ineligible entrant. The Promoter’s decision in deciding all entries shall be final.
9. The best fourty (40) valid entries in the Application Period, as determined by the judges in their absolute discretion, will be declared contestants and those teams will be eligible to participate in the Building Phase (“the Contestants”). The Promoter also reserves the right to select reserve Contestants who may be placed on notice that they are required to build their proposed Trolley at any point during the promotion.
10. The Promoter reserves the right to offer priority entry at its sole discretion.
11. The Contestants will be required to build their proposed Trolley between 01/08/2013 and 25/10/13 (“the Build Period”). ,
12. During the Build Period, the Promoter will be in contact with the Contestants to discuss their progress in building their proposed Trolley. Such contact may also include, at the Promoter’s sole discretion, visits by the Promoter, media or other agencies authorised by the Promoter.
13. Following completion of a successful Build Period (to be determined at the Promoter’s discretion), the Contestants will be required to bring their proposed trolley to Auckland and race it in the Event to be held at The Auckland Domain, Auckland on 10/11/13.
14. All Trolleys and their pilots must arrive on 09/11/13, at the time specified by the Promoter, at a designated point, which will be advised prior to the Event. From 1pm – 5pm the Promoter’s scrutineers will check all Trolleys for their roadworthiness and engineering compliance. All costs associated with participating in the Building Phase and the Event Phase (including, but not limited to, the materials required to build the Trolley, accommodation, and transport from the event in Auckland) will be the responsibility of the individual Teams.
15. Teams may be sponsored provided that:-
(a) the Promoter is advised and approves of the identity of the sponsors prior to the Event;
(b) For the avoidance of doubt, no competing energy drink product will be approved by the Promoter as a Contestant sponsor;
(c) only the Trolleys carry the sponsor’s logos, in the form and size approved by the Promoter; and
(d) the Promoter reserves the right to deny the sponsorship for any reason whatsoever, in its absolute discretion.
16. All trolleys must comply with the following specifications and also pass the Promoter’s safety inspection:
(a) trolleys must be human powered. No auxiliary lifting devices, power sources, or stored energy (e.g. elastic, batteries, clockwork springs, rocket fuel etc) can be used.
(b) maximum width is 1.5m;
(c) maximum height is 2.0m;
(d) maximum length is 3.0m;
(e) maximum weight is 80kg;
(f) trolleys may only be built from environmentally friendly, safe materials; and
(g) if Teams are sponsored, the sponsors; logos must be restricted to one rectangle on each side of the trolley no larger than 60cm x 30cm.
17. Only trolleys that pass the Promoter’s safety scrutineering will be permitted to participate in the Event. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for the failure of a trolley to pass the Promoter’s safety scrutineering and by passing a Trolley in the safety inspection the Promoter is not warranting or representing the safety or appropriateness of the trolley. The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
18. Members of Teams whose Trolleys pass the safety scrutineering will be permitted to participate in the Event (“Participants”). Teams may have no more than five (5) Participants including the driver. Only Team members listed in the official application form will be permitted to participate in the Event (ie. one (1) driver and four (4) crew). Only up to two people may actually race in the Trolley (one driver and one co-pilot)
19. All Participants must be over 15 as at 31 July 2013 (Participants older than 15 but younger than 18 must have the written consent of their parents/guardians in the form required by the Promoter).
20. Members of Teams will follow all safety instructions of the Promoter and the driver and co-pilot (if applicable) must wear helmets.
21. Participants acknowledge that the Event is a dangerous activity that may result in injury or death, and participate at their own risk. Participants must: (i) attend, undergo and pass any appropriate training, briefings, required medical tests and other requirements of the Promoter and Event organisers as determined by them in their absolute
discretion; (ii) not have any heart condition or history thereof, or other medical conditions that would make it dangerous to participate in the Event; (iii) not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol; (iii) comply with all directions of the Promoter and Event organisers at all times; (iv) wear all safety and other equipment required;
(v) not physically attach themselves to their trolleys; (vi) only race their trolleys on the specified race track in accordance with the Promoter’s or Event organisers’ directions.
22. The Promoter and Event organisers, in their absolute discretion, at all times reserve the right to: (a) prevent any participant from participating in the Event if, at any time, they reasonably believe that the Participant poses a safety risk or for any other reason, including but not limited to, acting in a manner which is likely to bring the Promoter and/or the Event organisers into disrepute, or is likely to cause harm to participants, the Promoter’s or Event organiser’s employees, contractors or volunteers, or any other third party; and (b) cancel the Event if the conditions are deemed dangerous or in any other way unsuitable. If the Event is varied for any reason beyond the control of the Promoter it may not be rescheduled and no compensation will be offered.
23. If any ballast or parts of the trolley fall off during the Event, the Contestant may be disqualified, in the absolute discretion of the Promoter. The Finalists are responsible for the safe keeping and transport to and removal of their trolley from the Event. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for the recovery of any part of the trolley. Therefore Contestants should not use anything they are not prepared to lose.
24. On the Event day, all Contestants who are permitted to participate in the Event will be judged on the basis of the following criteria, in the absolute discretion of the judges: (i) Creativity (maximum of 50 points); (ii) Race performance of their trolley and Team (maximum of 50 points); and (iii) Race time (electronically timed and recorded in seconds).
25. Prizes include the following:
(a) The finalist that receives the highest number of points across all three criteria, will win $10,000 in cash, paid by direct payment into the driver’s nominated bank account on or before 21st November, 2013. (b) The finalist that receives the second highest number of points across all three criteria will win $5,000 in cash paid by direct payment into the driver’s nominated bank account on or before 21st November 2013. (c) The Finalist that receives the third highest number of points across all three criteria will win $2,000 in cash paid by direct payment into the driver’s nominated bank account on or before 21st November 2013.
26. Tied result for the above prizes specified in condition 25: In the event of a tie, where one or more of the finalists receive equal (first, second or third) highest number of points, the Promoter will consider the scores achieved by the tied finalists in the following two (2) criteria: (i) Creativity; and (ii) Race Performance. The tied finalist with the highest score calculated from the above two categories will be declared the winner. In the event that they are still tied entrants, then the remaining tied finalists with the fastest ‘Race Time’ will be declared the winner. In the event that there are still tied entrants, the Promoter in its absolute discretion will determine the winner.
27. Any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant as a result of participating in the Promotion and potentially winning or being awarded a prize, is the responsibility of the participant.
28. In the event that a winner of a prize is under the age of 18 years, the prize will only be awarded to the winner if the winner provides written and signed consent in the form required by the Promoter from their parent/guardian, permitting them to receive the prize. This consent is in addition to the waiver of liability and indemnity that is required to be signed by the winner’s parent/guardian.
29. This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the contestants or eventual winners. The Promoter’s decision in relation to all matters pertaining to this promotion is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
30. If for any reason a winner does not take an element of the prize at the time stipulated by the Promoter, then the prize or that element of the prize will be forfeited.
31. If any prize (or part of any prize) is unavailable, the Promoter, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification. Prizes, or any unused portion of a prize, are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash (other than as specified).
32. All entries/applications (including sketches/drawings) submitted become the property of the Promoter. Applications will not be returned to any entrant. As a condition of entering into this promotion, each entrant agrees to assign all of their rights, title and interest (including copyright) in and to their sketch/drawing to the Promoter, or its nominee. Each entrant warrants to the Promoter that each sketch/drawing submitted is an original artistic work of the entrant which does not infringe the rights of any third party. The entrant agrees to indemnify the Promoter against all claims and costs by third parties arising from a breach of the warranty as set out in this condition. Entrants consent to any use of their entry which may otherwise infringe their moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1994.
33. The Promoter collects personal information in order to conduct the Promotion and may, for this purpose, disclose such information to third parties, including, but not limited to, prize suppliers. By entering the promotion, unless otherwise advised by the entrant, each entrant consents to the information they submit with their entry being entered into a database and the Promoter may use this information (including the use of sketches/drawings at the Promoter’s discretion) in any media for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes, without restriction, and without any further reference or payment or other compensation to the entrant. All personal details of the entrants will be stored at the office of the Promoter. A request to access, update or correct any information should be directed to that office.
34. The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is in breach or not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions or who tampers with the entry process. Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
35. It is a condition of entry that each Team member agrees that their image, and/or voice, as recorded, photographed or filmed during the promotion (including but not limited to as part of the Event), may be broadcast and/or published by the Promoter worldwide in any media, including but not limited to, television, radio, internet, newspapers, magazines, or any other advertising or marketing in connection with this promotion and/or any future event, and the Team members will not be entitled to any fee for such use. Team members consent to any use of the above created materials in a way which may otherwise infringe their moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1994.
36. If this promotion is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law (a) to disqualify any entrant; or (b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the promotion, as appropriate.
37. Any cost associated with accessing the promotional website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used.
38. Without in any way limiting any other provision in these Terms and Conditions, and except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter and Event organisers (including their respective officers, employees and agents) exclude all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Promotion, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter; (d) any variation in prize value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) if the Event is cancelled for any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter; (f) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; (g) participation in the Event; or (h) use of, or participation in the prize.
39. As a condition of entering or participating in the Event or taking a prize, the individual must sign any legal documentation as and in the form required by the Promoter/Prize Supplier /Event organisers, in their absolute discretion ,including but not limited to a legal and talent release and indemnity form and associated consents/releases. If the individual is under 18 years of age, his or her parent or guardian must sign any legal documentation required by the Promoter on his or her behalf.
40. These terms and conditions will be governed by and construed according to the laws of New Zealand and references to times are references to the time in Auckland, New Zealand.
41. The Promoter is Red Bull New Zealand Ltd of 27 Mackelvie St, Grey Lynn, Auckland 1021.